To Team or Not to Team

For my AICE exam, I have chosen to present a movie trailer in a group with Skylar Shultz and Elena Bretoi. Throughout the past few weeks in class, we have been completing assignments, reading articles, and doing activities to help us make our decisions as to if we would like to work in a group or alone. Although I have known both Skylar and Elena for a few years now, these activities made it clearer that we not only make good friends, but also ideal teammates. The first activity we completed was the “social media peer account” activity. For this activity we had to look at each other's social media accounts and analyze the photos and messages present. While looking at Skylar’s Instagram account I found it is mostly photos of her at the beach or parking garages with friends taking photos. This shows that Skylar is outgoing, friendly, and has experience with cameras, which could help our group get better and clearer shots. While looking at Elena’s Instagram account, there are also mostly photos of her and her friends doing everyday activities, which shows that she is also very friendly and outgoing. But I noticed something on her account that most people do not have on theirs, professional videos of her dancing on stage. I thought this was interesting because not many people have access to these types of videos, especially from competitions such as dance. After taking this into consideration, I believe that Elena could bring forward filming and editing, as she has experience from professional dancing videos. The next activity was titled “lost at sea,” in which we completed with our potential groups. This activity requires us to work together and combine our knowledge to collectively rank importance of items that could be used on a ship that is lost at sea. The beginning of the activity was completed individually, in which I got a score of 98. After completing the assignment individually, we went back and did the same but with our groups. To my surprise, the group got a better overall score of 84. This activity really opened my eyes and made me realize that working in a group would be ideal for me. These results showed me that together Skylar, Elena, and I can use our knowledge to create more ideas, or to possibly improve original ideas. As I have participated in group projects before, I have noticed from experience that working with people you are familiar with helps get more done and allows us to communicate openly with each other if we need help. In the article “The effect of personality type on team performance” the author John Bradley states, “Personality types have an essential role for the success of IS development team performance. Furthermore, there is a need to reflect on personality compositions of members to better understand not only themselves, but other members as well.” This statement proves that personality types do in fact influence team performance and should be considered when choosing groups. Overall, after completing assignments, reading articles, and doing activities this past week, it has helped me clearly decide to complete the AICE project as a group with Skylar Shultz and Elena Bretoi. Because we all have experience with different parts of film and can complete activities with high scores as a group, we would work very well together. Although some may believe that working with friends can cause lack of productivity or sloppier work, our group has the ability to work together, help each other if we need it, and come together to produce the best ideas possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post Production 2- Filming Process and Editing

Peer Review

Title Sequence Clip Review